Sausages and PeppersCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
This is a go to meal. It is easy and can really be done with any sausage of choice. If using pork or lamb sausages, the cooking time will be longer as they are raw. Chicken apple sausages are easy, delicious, and good protein. You can easily cook all these on a grill or on the stove or in the oven. This makes a very healthy easy dinner with a green salad and if you want bread or buns. If you are buying lamb or pork sausages, make sure you are picking up from a reputable butcher. You can always add other seasonal vegetables. In the fall/winter, I like to add Brussel Sprouts, sweet potato, cauliflower with the onions. In the spring/summer, peppers, asparagus, zucchini and onions.
8 sausages or two packs of chicken apple sausages
4 bell peppers, sliced thin
2 red onions, sliced thin
2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
Seasoning for vegetables
Serve with polenta in the fall or winter and in the spring/summer warmed flatbread or homemade naan bread
- Preheat oven to 400 Roast. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl, toss vegetables with olive oil and seasoning of choice. Spread the vegetables on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Add the sausages to the baking sheet and cook about 15-20 minutes.
- STOVE TOP: in a large pan or grill pan, drizzle a little olive oil and allow to get hot, add the sausages but be careful to not overcrowd and cook turning every few minutes. You can then finish them in the oven or on the stove.
- The vegetables can be sauted in a large pan with olive oil but I finding roasting them has better texture.