Slow Cooker Moroccan Lentil StewCourse: DinnerCuisine: MoroccanDifficulty: Easy
I found this recipe on one of my favorite blog, but all the reviews said it was bland so I fixed it. By the time, I revamped this recipe it was so good my family begged for more. The original recipe said to just throw everything in the slow cooker and cook but by doing this you are not adding flavor or texture. For this to work you have to caramelize the vegetables and bring out their flavor while enhancing the spices you are adding. This is not spicy as in heat but full flavor. This recipe needs a little preparation before it all goes into the slow cooker.
2 cups chopped onion
2 cups chopped carrot, peeled first
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons and 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
8 cups chicken broth (can use vegetable broth)
1 large head or two small cauliflower, cut into small florets, roasted (notes below)
1 3/4 cups Umbrian lentils or brown lentils
28 oz can chopped tomatoes
2-3 Tablespoons tomato paste
1 bag fresh baby spinach, 3-4 cups
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2-4 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Preheat oven to 400. Wash and dry the cauliflower, cut it up into small florets, and toss in a bowl with 2 Tablespoons oil, a touch of salt and pepper. Pour onto a parchment lined baking sheet and roast until browned about 20-30 minutes. set aside.
- If your insert can go on the stove then do this in the insert. If not you can do this in a skillet and then add to your slow cooker.
- Place the insert on the stove with the 2 teaspoons oil, warm over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for 5-8 minutes until they begin to change color. Add the carrots and garlic. Sauté until they begin to soften and get a little color. Add the spices and mix in and allow to toast for 1 minute.
- Add the lentils and mix in, then add the diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Once everything is mixed well and toasted, add the chicken broth.
- Place the insert into the slow cooker and cook for 7 hours on low.
- Stir in the spinach and cook another 45 minutes.
- Add the chopped cilantro and lemon juice and serve in warm bowls with good crusty bread.