Slow Cooker Short Ribs in Red WineCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
This is a favorite recipe on a cold night.I have been making it for 15 years. It is easy and delicious. I always serve it over a spoonful of polenta. It is so warming, so the perfect dish on a cold night. I make this a lot in Wyoming on cold winter days. Perfect meal after a day of snow shoeing or cross country skiing. When I serve it for guests, I always serve it with a crunchy salad, good bread and chocolate pot de cremes. It seems to be a perfect meal and always a complimentary glass of red wine. It is a perfect meal by fireside.**** You can always make this the day before and reheat and serve. It usually cooks on low for 7 hours.
4 1/2 lbs 3 inch long meaty shorts ribs
2 cups dry red wine
1 28oz can diced toms in their juice
1 6 oz package button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup chopped onion
6 garlic gloves, peeled
6 fresh Italian parsley sprigs
2 bay leaves
Golden Pheasant Polenta
Italian parsley, freshly chopped for garnish
- Sprinkle short ribs with salt and fresh ground pepper. Place in an even layer in the slow cooker. Add next 7 ingredients, mix up a bit and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, serve the shorts ribs on heated plates on top of polenta. remove the sprigs of parsley and bay leaves. Spoon the sauce and vegetables around each serving. Garnish with chopped parsley.
- Preheat oven to 350. Place 2 cups polenta, 1 teaspoon salt, and 6 cups water into a heavy duty pot with a tight fitting lid.
- Place the pot in the oven and cook for 1 hour. Every 15 minutes, stir the polenta and return the lid.
- Serve the cooked polenta on a warm plate or bowl and serve the short rib on top.