S’mores CheesecakeCourse: DessertCuisine: American
THIS CAKE NEEDS TO BE MADE AHEAD OF TIME!!!! I have made this dessert for years. I think this is my kids favorite summer dessert. It doesn’t disappoint but it is rich. It is always a hit at BBQ’s, dinner parties and gatherings.I also love that it can be made ahead which makes executing menu’s so much easier. A friend who has a birthday in the winter loves this cake so much I make it for her in February every year. ***Do not buy graham cracker crumbs, they don’t have enough texture.
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (made from 9 whole crackers finely ground in a food processor) You can use the cinnamon or chocolate if you like. I have used the cinnamon and it gives it a delicious kick.
3 Tablespoons sugar
6 Tablespoons butter (3/4 cup), melted
9 oz high quality milk chocolate, Lindt or Ghirardelli, chopped
2 -8oz packages cream cheese
3/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
3 large eggs
1-10 oz jar of high quality chocolate sauce, heated so it is pourable
1 cup sugar
2 large egg whites
3 Tablespoons water
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
12 large marshmallows, cut into quarters with wet kitchen scissors (if they are wet they won’t get sticky)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350. Set rack in the middles of the oven. Once the graham crackers have been pulverized in the food processor, pour them into a medium bowl and add in the sugar and melted butter. Stir until everything is moistened. Press into the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan with at least 2 3/4 inch sides.Bake until set about 12 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Reduce oven to 325. (You can make the crust the day before)
- In a heatproof bowl over barley simmering water in a saucepan, melt the chopped milk chocolate. (do not allow the bowl to touch the water) Remove from the bowl and allow to cool.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine cream cheese, sugar, and salt until smooth. With the motor running, add the whipping cream through the feed tube, process until blended. Turn the machine on and through the tube add the melted chocolate, then the eggs 1 at a time, scrape down the sides. Pour batter over crust in pan.
- Bake cake until outer edge is slightly puffed and cake is barely set in center, center will look shiny and move slightly when pan is gently shaken, about 55 minutes. Transfer cake to rack. Run small sharp knife around cake to loosen. Chill uncovered until cold, 8 hours or overnight. CAN BE MADE 2 DAYS AHEAD TO THIS POINT. KEEP REFRIGERATED AND COVER.
- Place chocolate sauce in a pot with water that goes about 3/4 of the way up and allow to warm so you can pour.
- Pour warmed chocolate sauce over top of cake and place in refrigerator.
- Whisk sugar, egg whites, 3 Tablespoons water, cream of tarter, and 1/8 teaspoon salt to blend in a large bowl. Set bowl over simmering water, whisk constantly until sugar is dissolves and mixture thickens is hot to the touch about 3 minutes. Remove the bowl from the water and stir in marshmallows. Let stand 3 minutes then PLACE BOWL OVER SIMMERING WATER and using an electric hand mixer, beat until stiff shiny peaks form, about 4 minutes. Beat in vanilla.
- Remove cake from refrigerator and spread the marshmallow mixture over the cake and try to make swirls with the topping. Allow to set for 15 minutes.
- Using a kitchen torch, lightly brown the top of the cake. CAKE CAN BE MADE 1 DAY AHEAD. Cover and keep chilled.
- When Ready to serve, remove sides and place on a decorative platter. Cut the cake into thin wedges and enjoy with sliced fruit of your choice.