Spiced Halibut with Saffron Vegetable CouscousCourse: DinnerDifficulty: Easy
We love seafood and try and eat it twice a week. I usually do a shellfish recipe and a fish recipe. This is very tasty and healthy. I usually add chickpeas or lentils to the couscous. I mix it up. It is such a good recipe. We love all these flavors and the simplicity of it. I have made this for guests as it is a lovely dinner and when served with a green vegetable.
1/3 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamon
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1 lb halibut
2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 fennel bulbs, trimmed and cut into bite size wedges
1/2 small cauliflower, cored and broken into small florets
2 cups Israeli PEARL couscous
1 pinch saffron
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup green olives, quartered
1 handful of EACH parsley and cilantro, roughly chopped
1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven 350.
- Assemble the halibut marinade: In a bowl, mix together the oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt and spices. In a dish, add the halibut and pour the spice marinade over the fish. Making sure to cover both sides of the fish. Marinate for 30 minutes, NOT ANY LONGER!
- Transfer fish to a baking sheet or dish once 30 minutes is over. Using a spatula, cover the fish in any remaining marinade. Place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until it easily flakey.
- While the fish bakes, make the couscous. Heat a large pot over high heat. Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil and add the fennel and cauliflower. Sprinkle with salt. Cook, stirring, until vegetables begin to brown or caramelize. Add a few drops of water and cover to steam, stirring occasionally, until veggies are tender. Remove pot and place vegetables in a warm bowl.
- Add pot back to stove, add remaining olive oil. Add the couscous and cook stirring until couscous begins to change color about 2-3 minutes. Add 2 1/2 cups water or chicken broth and crumble in saffron and add salt. Bring to a boil and cover and cook on low heat until the water is absorbed and couscous is tender, about 10 minutes.
- While the couscous cooks, assemble the rest of the ingredients. Add olives, parsley and cilantro to serving bowl with vegetables. When the couscous is done, add the couscous to the vegetables and toss well. Scoop the couscous onto warm plates and top with marinated halibut. Serve with lemon wedge and green vegetable of choice.