Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry FrostingCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
I made these little gems and the kids and friends gobbled them up. I ate one the day after to make sure they tasted good still. They need to be refrigerated but allow them to come to room temperature and warm up. They are delicious but watch when cooking because they tasted a little dry. My kids and neighbors loved them. Seriously, loved them. The flavor is amazing and the frosting makes more than you need so save it and make sugar cookie sandwiches with the excess or make more cupcakes. I am going to make these for Easter for the kids.
3 cups freeze dried strawberries
1 cup melted coconut oil
1/3 cup sour cream or full fat Greek Vanilla yogurt
2 lg eggs
3/4 cup raw honey
1 cup Bonne Maman strawberry jam
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup milk
- Strawberry Frosting
6 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
2 sticks salted butter, room temperature
2 1/2-3 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup warm milk (I only used about 2 Tablespoons)
- In a food processor, process the freeze dried strawberries so they turn into fine powder.
- Preheat oven 350. Line 2 cupcake pans with molds.
- In a large bowl, beat together coconut oil, yogurt, eggs, honey, strawberry jam, and vanilla. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add about 2/3 of the strawberry post, saved the rest for the frosting. Mix until just combined, then slowly beat in the milk until fully combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared pans. Bake 20-25 minutes until tops are just set. Remove and let them cool.
- In a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese until whipped. Add the butter and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the powdered sugar, remaining powdered strawberry, about 3 Tablespoons and the vanilla. Beat until frosting is light and fluffy, then slowly stream in the milk until your desired consistency. I have made this twice and really didn’t use the milk. The frosting was a perfect consistency for frosting the cupcakes.
- When cupcakes are cool, frost them and then serve or make a day ahead and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and serve.