Streusel Sour Cream Coffee CakeCourse: BreakfastCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
I love these muffins. I make them on cold mornings to go with scrambled eggs and a fruit salad. My kids seem to gobble them up. They are so moist, great flavor and texture. I have also made these for friends or to bring to a brunch. They seem to get gobbled up. They are easy, yummy and make the house small amazing.
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup light brown sugar, divided
3/4 cup sugar
2 sticks cold butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces, divided
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups pecans, toasted and chopped
1 cup sour cream
1 lg egg
1 lg egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350. Generously butter 18 muffin cups and butter or spray tops of pans as well.
- Stir together flour, 3/4 cup brown sugar, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Blend in 1 1/2 sticks butter with your fingertips or a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal, with some lumps of butter.
- Transfer 3/4 cup of mixture to a medium bowl and blend in cinnamon, remaining 1/2 stick butter and remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar with your fingertips until crumbly. Stir in pecans. Refrigerate streusel topping for 15 minutes.
- Whisk together sour cream, egg, yolk, vanilla, baking soda, and zest in a bowl. Stir in remaining flour mixture until just combined, batter will be stiff.
- Divide the batter among buttered muffin cups, filling about 2/3 the way and then sprinkle with streusel, lightly pressing into batter.
- Bake until muffins are golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes. Cool in pans on racks for 30 minutes. Loosen cakes with sharp small knife and then eat warm.