Tandoori Roasted ChickenCourse: DinnerCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
I love this recipe. I have been making this since before I got married, for over 3o years. It is always a dish I come back too and one that always gets rave reviews. It is easy and I always marinate it for 24 hours, but you don’t need to. Sometimes in the roasting pan, I add carrots, onions and potatoes-sometimes I don’t because i serve it with rice or couscous.
1 teaspoon salt
Juice of 1 lemon
3 minced garlic cloves
2 Tablespoons grated fresh ginger
1 heaping teaspoon ground cumin
1 heaping teaspoon ground cardamom
2 heaping teaspoons Madras Curry
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup low fat plain yogurt (Greek is fine)
1 whole chicken, 4-5lbs
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup lemon juice and the halves of the lemon
1/4-1/2 cup beer, white wine or chicken broth for basting the bird
- Mix together the first nine ingredients. Place the chicken in a roasting dish and smother the bird inside and out with the yogurt spice mix. Cover and refrigerate over night or allow to sit on the counter for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to Roast 425. Remove plastic wrap and drizzle bird with olive oil, black pepper and pour lemon juice in bottom of pan. Place the lemon halves in the cavity of the bird.
- Place in the oven at 425 for 20 minutes then turn oven down to 350. Baste the bird with beer or white wine or chicken broth and then continue to cook for another 40-50 minutes. Basting every 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, tent lightly with foil and allow to rest for 8-10 minutes.
- Carve the bird and serve with potatoes or couscous and a favorite green vegetable of choice.