Turkey MeatloafCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
This is a favorite recipe. I have made this using ground turkey, beef or a mixture of beef, veal and pork. It always makes so much but it is so good. My husband and I both grew up not liking meatloaf but when I found this recipe over 20 years ago I thought it sounded so good. I made it and it has always been a family favorite. It freezes well and also makes the best leftover meatloaf sandwiches. You can’t go wrong with this recipe and you can’t go wrong with whatever meat you choose to use. It all works and equally tastes so good. I make it ahead and then cook it later.
2 1/2 lb ground turkey or beef, pork, bison or a mixture
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 lg yellow onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 1/4 cups bread crumbs
1 cup milk
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 heaping teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
Pinch of nutmeg
Pinch of allspice
8 slices of bacon
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a rimmed baking sheet with 3 sheets of parchment. Set aside. Place the ground turkey in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a lg saute pan over medium high heat, Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute then add the onions and celery. Stirring often and cook for about 4 minutes, until tender but no color. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Combine bread crumbs and milk in a bowl and quickly mix-allow to sit for 10 min.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs, ketchup, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne, cumin, celery seeds, allspice, and nutmeg in a small bowl. Pour over the meat. Add the onion mixture and the bread crumbs. Using your hands gently combine everything and make sure the ingredients are as evenly distributed as much as you can.
- Once mixture is evenly mixed, pour onto prepared pan, shape into a loaf as much as possible. Wrap bacon over meatloaf. Place in oven and cook for 50-60 minutes. To crisp the bacon at the last few minutes, turn the oven up to 425 for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven allow to rest for 8 minutes, then slice and serve. This makes great leftovers as well as meatloaf sandwiches served on crusty rolls with all the fixings.