Zesty Turkey SoupCourse: Lunch, DinnerCuisine: American, MexicanDifficulty: Easy
I love this soup. It is such a change from my normal turkey vegetable soup which is also great, but this has such warming flavors. It is not spicy but because it simmers with a cinnamon stick I feel it warms me up so much. I always roast a turkey just so I can make this soup and freeze it. It makes a wonderful lunch or dinner garnished with avocados, green onions, radishes and chopped cabbage. I also serve it with fresh warmed tortillas and a touch of salted butter. The reason this is so good is because I use my amazing turkey stock. It is always a favorite of both family and friends.
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow or red onion (I do 1/2 and 1/2)
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup sliced carrots
1/2 toasted cumin seed
1/2 teaspoon toasted coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
6 garlic gloves, chopped
1 cinnamon stick, about 2 inches
Pinch of cayenne
2 teaspoons kosher salt or more to taste
6-8 cups of homemade turkey broth(can use store bought but add more seasoning)
4 cups of leftover turkey, cut into small bite size pieces
2 firm but ripe avocado
6 green onions, thinly sliced
2 jalapeno’s, seeded and chopped
1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
2 limes, quartered
1 bunch of radishes, thinly sliced
Napa cabbage, thinly sliced
Corn or flour tortillas
2 Tablespoons salted butter + Maldon salt
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, and carrots, stirring until they soften, about 5 minutes.
- In a small, dry skillet toast the cumin, coriander and black peppercorns over medium high heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Then grind the spices and add to the pot with garlic, cinnamon stick, pinch of cayenne and salt.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes and taste to adjust seasoning. Keep the soup hot and covered on low heat.
- Place bowls and tortillas in a heated oven to warm up.
- Add the turkey to the soup, stir to incorporate the meat and allow to heat up with the soup about 15 more minutes.
- Ladle the soup into deep warmed, bowls and garnish with a squeeze of fresh lime juice, cilantro, sliced avocado, radishes and cabbage. Season with a touch of the Maldon salt.
- Serve each soup with a warmed tortilla.